Sunday, April 18, 2010

Atsarang Pakwan

"Watermelon Rind pickle"

My mom always make sure that we always have watermelon served after meal. As a recycling freak I don't want to waste anything as much as possible. I've done some reserch on what to do with the rind. I've found out that the rind has more nutrients than the juicy fleshy part of the fruit. I have two options, either to make them into candies or pickle them. Since I'm not really into sweet stuffs I opted to pickle.

The recipe that I've found is intended for green papaya. So I just replace the main ingredient with the rind.

Ingredients:

Syrup:
  • 2 cup vinegar
  • 2 cups sugar
  • garlic
  • salt and pepper
Other veggies:
  • Siling haba (finger chilies)
  • Siling labuyo or bird's eye chillies (if you really want it hot and spicy)
  • Ginger
  • Onion
I separated the rind, skin and the red part.



1. As you can see from the picture (click to enlarge) I use the blender instead of the usual grating. I blend it for just less than a minute so you can still have something to chew.
2. Squeeze out the excess water.
3. Prepare the ingredients
4. Chop them up
5. Mix.
6. Put in a jar/s.


7. Put all the syrup ingredients in the blender.
8. Blend for 20 seconds.
9. put the syrup into the jar enough to cover the pickle mixture.
10. seal with a cling wrap
11. microwave for 5 mins. (low)

Voila! this can last for more than a year(depending on the storage)


I already made vinegar from coconut water so I decided to make vinegar from the red parts. I don't know if this will work. but it's worth a try.

I blender the red part and separated the juice from the pulp.

1. Add 2 tbsp of sugar to the watermelon juice and stir until the sugar dissolves
2. Pour in a bottle and cover it with linen to make the air pass through. and store in a warm dark
place for 1 month.
4. after 2 days the red stuff separated from the vinegar... wow!
I haven't tasted it yet. hopefully this may work.



I tried to pickle the rep pulp. The taste is slightly different from the rind because of the texture of the pulp. it is too soft like baby's food.

No comments:

Post a Comment